Hydroseeding a lawn is a quick and effective way to decorate your summer cottage. Let’s find out what it is.
The technology of hydroseeding grass is still quite new and is of interest to homeowners. In advertising, which is already a lot on the network, they claim that they have sprinkled the area and here’s a smooth, beautiful lawn. Let’s figure it out together if this is so.
Hydro-seeding of grass
In general, hydroseeding is not just about planting grass seeds in a chosen area. This is a spraying of a special multicomponent composition, which includes:
- The seeds of the lawn grass themselves.
- Mulch based on straw, sawdust or cellulose.
- Additives that improve soil structure.
- A fixer that connects all these components together.
It turns out a kind of colored thick liquid, which is simply sprayed over the prepared area with a vibrating pump. Professionals use a special hydroseeding technique. From the outside, it looks as if the owners or utilities, who have also adopted this technology, are painting the site in anticipation of guests or the arrival of a high-ranking official.
In fact, hydroseeding a lawn has many advantages:
- For this, a dye is needed, which is completely harmless to plants – it helps the owners to see which area has already been sown, apply the composition evenly. It’s like with wallpaper glue, which has a color and allows you not to miss a single piece of the canvas. All seeds and fertilizers are quickly and easily distributed over the area, there will be no bald spots.
- Mulch, which is in the composition, quickly sets, a crust forms. Thanks to her, the seeds are not afraid of wind and rain, they will not be washed away and not carried away.
- Preparatory work is minimal, you do not need to dig deep, huddle, or cover anything. It is much easier and faster than planting lawn seeds using conventional methods.
- Seeds that are presoaked will germinate faster.
- A liquid lawn is easy to apply even on a steep slope, on the shore of a reservoir, an area with a difficult relief.
- The seeds are immediately protected from diseases, and the presence of fertilizers in the mixture will accelerate their growth.
- High germination is guaranteed, of course, if the lawn grass seeds are of high quality, even on clay and sandy soils.
The whole process of applying a liquid lawn includes the following steps:
- Site preparation. It is not so difficult – you need to remove all the debris, stones, dig up shallowly, level with a rake. If the soil is rocky, too poor, it will not hurt to add compost or rotted manure.
- Creation of a mixture, composition with seeds. Let’s talk about this in more detail below.
- Application, spraying of the composition over the area using a vibration pump, for example, an ordinary home “Kid” or “Brook”. The main thing is that the nozzle is wide enough so that the mixture with seeds does not get stuck. Craftsmen often simply bore the hole of the nozzle with a drill.
Of course, the composition for a liquid lawn can be bought ready-made, already in a spray bottle, that is, completely ready for use. A container with a volume of 1 liter is worth about 800-1200 rubles. Just attach it to a garden hose, turn on the water and start spraying. Manufacturers claim that 1 liter will be enough for hydroseeding a lawn on an area of 15 square meters. True, there are many reviews that the liquid lawn kit did not come in full, so there is a risk of getting something different from what you expected.
Therefore, we advise you to make the composition yourself – it will be much cheaper and you are responsible for the quality. The recipe for sowing 100 square meters of area is as follows:
- Grass seeds – 2 kilograms.
- Up to 3 kilograms of phosphorus, nitrogen fertilizers and biostimulants.
- Hydrogel – only 100 grams.
- Fixer. At home, you can use ordinary clay – up to 600 grams.
- Up to 12 kilograms of mulch. Take pre-chopped straw or small sawdust.
- Dye. It takes so much that the solution becomes noticeably green.
- Up to 100 liters of water.
The solution is prepared as follows: water is poured into a sufficiently large container, dye and seeds are added there, then stimulants and fertilizers, then mulch and hydrogel. Clay as a fixer is added last. Mix everything very thoroughly. We recommend using a construction mixer or drill with a special mixing attachment. You can mix it in a concrete mixer, but first it must be very thoroughly washed.
It is advisable to leave the solution for hydroseeding for the whole night or for a day and only then start to work.
The first time, until the seeds sprout, you do not need to do anything with the new lawn. The crust will protect the seeds, a suitable microclimate will form under it, and the hydrogel will retain moisture. Then, after sprouting, the young grass will have to be watered daily for two weeks, of course, if it doesn’t rain.
According to experts, the hydroseeding method is very convenient to close the bald spots formed in an ordinary lawn, to work on slopes, difficult areas. There are reviews of users who, using this technology, sowed the roof and received an eco-roof. We will repeat, while the technology is new, but most of the reviews about do-it-yourself lawn hydroseeding are good. published by econet.ru
Subscribe to our Yandex Zen channel!
If you have any questions on this topic, ask the specialists and readers of our project here.
PS And remember, just by changing your consumption – together we are changing the world! © econet