Something similar to decking and clapboard, this material has its own characteristics and its own scope.
Facade board (or planken) is intensively used in the design of the exterior and local area, and not only for facade cladding. About what this building material is, what properties it has and how it is assembled by hand, we will consider in this publication from stroisovety.org.
Planken facade board
- What is planken and what are its varieties
- Advantages and scope of planken facade boards
- DIY installation rules and nuances
What is planken and what are its varieties
In fact, these are well-finished planed wooden boards, the edges of which can be straight or oblique.
The visual similarity with the clapboard will end when you take a closer look at the plank board and see the absence of spikes and grooves. And their installation is different. Regardless of how the plank is mounted – end-to-end or overlapped, open or hidden – in any case, a technological gap is left that does not allow the boards to touch each other, and, therefore, does not impede air circulation and does not allow moisture to accumulate in the cracks.
In fairness, it must be said that the lining can also be used on the street, but it should not be fastened in a hidden way, but in a traditional way, and the fastening should be frequent (every 0.5 m) and through. Such a rigid fastening without a technological gap will not allow the boards to deform when they swell and dry out.
But back to the topic of the article. This material is made from various types of wood, but larch is the most popular in our latitudes due to its budget price and excellent quality.
Larch – resistant to temperature extremes, moisture, any weather conditions. In addition, it is a strong, durable and relatively light material with good antiseptic properties, in which pests and mildew do not appear. Larch boards do not age and retain their original appearance for a long time. For finishing facades, plinths, gazebos, this is the most suitable option based on the ratio of price and quality.
Oak – durable, but not cheap material. He is considered the best and it really is. And external data and strength characteristics confirm this fact.
Cedar – has a great aroma, typical of all conifers. However, this is not the most durable material. In addition, if compared with other species, then it is most susceptible to infection by a fungus and the settlement of bugs – wood pests.
Ash – a beautiful and flexible material that, after special processing, becomes very durable and resistant to weather conditions. It costs a little less than an oak tree.
Exotic breeds (maranti, teak, ip, bangkirai, berbau) – beautiful and durable materials. These are premium products, so the price cannot be cheap. Exotics are always held in high esteem, but the price category goes far beyond the budget.
Recently, the facade board made of WPC (wood-polymer composite) has been quite popular. It is made of wood and plastic, which acts as a bonding element. Compared to wood plank, composite material is more resistant to weather conditions and, as a result, more durable – minimum service life is 25 years. In addition, WPC is lighter than wood, has a wide range of colors, is insect-resistant and affordable.
Any kind of wood is suitable not only for exterior decoration, but also for interior decoration – the ceiling, walls, floor are easily assembled from these boards, helping to create a rustic interior style. Moreover, the scope of application is not limited only to country houses and summer cottages – city apartments, public premises and offices will also gladly accept planken finishing.
Advantages and scope of planken facade boards
The cladding of facades of buildings and residential buildings with planken looks beautiful and solid. But these are not the only good points of this material.
- Ventilation. Non-rigid fastening allows for natural ventilation, which increases the life of the cladding.
- Environmental friendliness. Natural wood has always been and remains in high esteem as an environmentally friendly and safe material.
- Wind protection. This material is an excellent protection against drafts.
- Protection against moisture and ultraviolet radiation. Does not allow penetration of ultraviolet rays and effectively removes moisture, preventing premature failure of the material.
- Warming. Applying a system of ventilated facades, a layer of insulation is laid behind the cladding.
- Simple installation. It can be carried out at any time of the year.
- A variety of colors and textures. In construction and repair, both natural and painted facade boards are used, which significantly expands the possibilities of decorative design of interiors and exteriors.
Also, maintainability can be designated as an advantage, i.e. simple replacement of individual boards. However, it all depends on the type of attachment. With hidden installation, you will have to disassemble the entire cladding located above the part to be replaced. And with open installation, it is really not difficult to replace a separate board without disassembling the rest of the facade.
The scope of application of the planken facade board is quite wide:
- facing of facades;
- household blocks;
- for interior decoration;
- construction of fences.
By the way, WPC planken fences are very popular now. Unlike a wooden picket fence, polymer boards are more practical and durable – they are not afraid of temperature and humidity changes, do not crack or rot, retain their color for a long time, and are resistant to fungus.
DIY installation rules and nuances
Traditionally, the installation of a facade board is carried out with a horizontal arrangement of panels. But there is also vertical cladding, which visually pulls up the height of the building.
Fastening the front board can be done in two ways:
- Open – the easiest way, which consists in through-fastening the boards with self-tapping screws.
- Hidden is a more complicated method, but it allows you to create a beautiful facade without visible traces of fastening.
Mounting is carried out as follows.
- First, a frame is assembled from wooden beams, which are treated with antiseptic compounds.
- Insulation is first laid inside the frame, then it is closed with a hydro-barrier. Then boards are mounted, which are also treated with an antiseptic to protect against moisture and mold.
- They are fastened to a wooden lathing with a pitch of 300 to 600 mm.
- When mounting butt-end, a technological gap of 2-10 mm is left to prevent deformation of the skin.
- For concealed installation, snake fasteners (metal strips) are used. First, it is screwed to the board from the back side, and then the board installed on the frame is attached through the protruding edges of the snake. In the case of fixing an oblique plank, the gaps between the lamellas will not be visible, and when finishing with a straight plank, they will be noticeable.
- With the open method, the boards are attached with stainless steel screws directly to the frame.
Facade board is an environmentally friendly, durable and high-quality finishing material that looks solid and lasts a long time. Its only drawback is its not cheap price. published by econet.ru
Subscribe to our Yandex Zen channel!
If you have any questions on this topic, ask the specialists and readers of our project here.
PS And remember, just by changing your consumption – together we are changing the world! © econet