This article provides detailed instructions on how to quickly and efficiently whitewash the exterior walls of a building.
Whitewashing the walls on the outside of the building is not done very often. This material is a thing of the past. Although if you take summer cottages or industrial premises, then this coating material is not used so rarely here.
Whitewashing houses: advantages and disadvantages
As components of the application, the walls are whitewashed with chalk or lime. The second option is the most common. Today we will consider this issue in detail. As well as a video on how to whitewash the walls, you can watch the details of this work.
Wall whitewashing is to dissolve lime or chalk in water and apply the liquid mixture to specific areas of the building. It is this coating that will protect the structure.
At the present time, this method of decoration is not popular among the population. However, there are still summer residents who adhere to the traditions of the past generation.
The advantage of whitewashing buildings is as follows:
- These materials are natural and environmentally friendly.
- This is one of the cheapest design solutions for building decoration. The price will probably be the lowest.
- Lime has a disinfecting property, therefore it prevents the formation of mold and mildew.
- The material is highly resistant to moisture.
- Facades of buildings that are covered with whitewash look very good.
- To decorate the surface of the building does not need to spend a lot of time, no special tools are required, and a small amount of materials.
- In order to carry out work on whitewashing the building, you do not need to have skills, for this it is enough to understand the basic principle of working with the material and everything can be done by hand. We will consider all stages in more detail below.
Before you whitewash the wall, you need to know the negative qualities:
- There is no variety of colors.
- Not long service life, although this is compensated by the low cost.
- Hand and eye protection methods must be used when working with lime, as the material is highly corrosive. For protection, use – respirator, goggles, gloves.
- There are very few garden styles that go with whitewashed facades. You can use stylistic solutions such as country or Provence.
- Care should be taken when preparing the solution, as if improperly mixed, flaws may appear on the surface of the building. For example, bubbles, material bulging or stripes of different colors.
It should be said right away that almost any walls can be whitewashed. Even adobe walls are whitewashed. But this is already more difficult. After all, straw is such a material that must be carefully prepared.
If you are thinking how to whitewash the walls with a water emulsion, then this is done according to the principle of applying chalk or lime. The principle is the same and will be described below.
Whitewashing a building using lime means applying a pre-mixed mixture to the facade. For this, a reference plane must be prepared. It should be flat. After all, the coating will repeat all the unevenness.
Attention: Before you start whitening, be sure to prime the base of the facade, wait until it is completely dry, and only then start whitewashing manually or using special devices.
It is possible to whitewash the surface of buildings only in the evening or in cloudy the weather. Due to the fact that lime is not resistant to high temperatures, it is necessary to avoid sun exposure when working.
Attention: The composition should be homogeneous, there should be no lumps and clots. So when mixing it is worth using a drill with a nozzle. Then the mass will be homogeneous.
If you choose a brush for applying the material, then it must be wetted. For some time before work, leave the brush in a jar of water so that its wooden base swells and bristle particles do not remain on the surface that has already been whitened.
According to the technology of applying whitewash on the facade of the house, it is required to cover the base in several layers. The first layer of lime is spread in horizontal strips. The second layer is applied after the first has dried. However, it is superimposed from top to bottom, that is, perpendicularly.
If a distributor is used when whitening a building, then the rule should be strictly observed. The lime solution is distributed with the apparatus at right angles. This is necessary for economical consumption of material and uniform coverage of the entire surface.
It is not difficult to prepare a lime mortar. The mixture should contain the following ingredients: hearth, slaked lime, wallpaper glue, table salt.
Cooking lime for whitewashing:
- We take a medium-sized container, pour 3 kg of lime there, mix with 1 liter of water, add 100 g of salt and glue.
- Stir the resulting mass thoroughly so that there are no lumps. Then we add water until a total volume of 10 liters is obtained.
- Wallpaper glue will give the solution a sticky property, due to this, it will be better to whitewash on the wall surface.
- Salt is added to prevent hands and clothing from getting dirty when touched. You can also add blue, then the solution will turn out to be a snow-white color.
Attention: It would be good to wet the wall surface before starting work. Then the whitewash will be better applied and hold
Before there, how to start any work with whitewashing, it is necessary to prepare the base so that the whitewashing lies well, and after that there were no flaws:
Before starting work, the surface must be cleaned. It is forbidden to apply this material on surfaces with rust, irregularities, and also with efflorescence and greasy spots.
If there are cracks on the surface, then they must be treated and repaired. Old whitewash must be removed and can be removed with a special brush. The entire surface is completely plastered and then primed. Before applying whitewash, it is necessary to cover all objects with a film so that the solution does not get on them.
A brush can be used for small areas. For larger areas, a roller or spray is best. Using a brush is the easiest and most cost effective way.
As mentioned above, the brush must be soaked in a jar of water, so that the villi do not fall on the whitewashed surface. It depends on how the final result of the work will look.
A spray bottle is used over a large area. Working with such a device requires adherence to the rules for applying whitewash. The distance between it and the place of application should be about 30 cm, and spray at a right angle. Then the material consumption will be small, and this is economically beneficial.
Not everyone has the opportunity to buy a device, then a conventional vacuum cleaner can be an analogue of a spray.
Experts can tell you how to whitewash the walls and what to consider. There is a lot of useful advice in their advice.
Note: Milk of lime is the best disinfectant for ceilings and walls. Prevents mold, mildew and bedbugs in the home. To make the mixture, we use water in an amount of 1 liter and slaked lime in the amount of 3 kg, mix them in a container
If you want to get a boiling white color, then add a little blue color to the container with the mixture, which is used when washing things. To ensure that the already whitewashed surface does not stain anything when it comes into contact with it, add 100 grams of ordinary salt.
If you want to diversify the color scheme of whitewash, you can use a pigment. It is worth noting that it must be resistant to lime material. One kilogram of lime is added with 100 grams of pigment. For example, stable pigments – chromium oxide, carbon black, umber. Before adding pigments to the mortar, they must be diluted separately in water. Stir the pigment until a homogeneous mass is formed and leave for five hours. Then add the resulting mass to the lime mixture with thorough mixing.
To reduce the possibility of cracking or swelling of the material on the surface, add 10% wallpaper glue. Then the solution will be viscous and sticky, it will better lie on the wall.
Before starting work with whitewashing, it is necessary to apply water to the surface. The first layer is applied with horizontal lines. It should dry out, and then apply a second layer perpendicularly, that is, from top to bottom. The craft should lay down evenly.
Lime is not resistant to high temperatures, so you should not start working in the heat. Also not resistant to sun exposure. This material is best applied in cloudy weather or in the evening. Material consumption per square meter is a little 200 grams.
Before starting work with whitewashing, you need to apply a primer to the entire base, let it dry. And then start whitening. Now you know how to whitewash the walls and you can do it yourself. It is also worth watching the video in this article and photos that will help you do the job correctly and foresee everything. The instruction is completely correct and if you adhere to it, then the coating will be applied efficiently and quickly. published by econet.ru
Subscribe to our Yandex Zen channel!
If you have any questions on this topic, ask the specialists and readers of our project here.
PS And remember, just by changing your consumption – together we are changing the world! © econet