Before you start creating a lawn in your yard or court, you need to prepare and answer a few questions for yourself. Let’s find out what needs to be decided first of all.
In the morning it, like precious diamonds, is strewn with dew drops, in the daytime it turns into a stage for the play of sunbeams, and in the evening it spreads under your feet with gentle emerald silk. But, breaking a picturesque lawn on the site, you will have to work not only with your hands, but also with your head.
- 1. What is it for?
- 2. Where to place it?
- 3. Which size is better?
- 4. Which shape to choose?
- 5. In what style to sustain?
- Science to help
Let’s start with the good news. It is generally believed that it takes years to create a beautiful lawn, but this is not entirely true. Modern technologies make it possible to equip a green meadow in just one season, but on one condition: everything – from the choice of location to the work algorithm – must be clearly and competently planned. Therefore, to begin with, we offer all lovers of emerald carpets to answer basic questions about the future lawn and only then get down to business.
1. What is it for?
If for family fun and picnics or as a playground, choose a sports lawn. The seed mixture for him consists of grasses that are resistant to trampling.
Are you sure that the front lawn is a separate element of landscape design that carries a semantic load? Look for an English lawn for sale – it is decorative and will make the country landscape more aristocratic. But keep in mind: walking on such a lawn is harmful. Not for you – for her. Such a lawn needs to be adored from afar.
2. Where to place it?
- If this is a place where the whole family will gather (a barbecue area, a dining area or a children’s corner), break up the lawn from the inside of the house so that its walls and lush tree crowns protect your family from prying eyes.
- A lawn “for beauty” can be arranged in the front or entrance area, between the house and the street.
Important: if the chosen area is poorly lit by the sun or is completely hidden from its rays, choose special grass mixtures, which necessarily include shade-loving plants.
The good thing about a roll lawn is that it can be laid throughout the season – from May to September. It would seem that everything is simple: unfolded and laid. But is it really so?
You can admire the lawn immediately after laying, but at first it is strictly forbidden to walk on it. Leave the grass alone for at least a month, because “engraftment” in a new place does not occur immediately. Sod lawn mats are grown in specialized farms for 2-3 years. To do this, the seeds are fixed on a solid mesh base, which will eventually become the basis of the lawn. Typical mat width 40 cm, length about 2 m, turf thickness 2 cm or slightly more. The weight of the “track” ranges from 12 to 15 kg.
Lawn rolls are delicate and do not store for a long time, therefore:
- Buy them immediately before styling, a maximum of 2-3 days.
- Store green rugs in the shade, regularly pouring water, this is especially important a few hours before laying and directly during the process.
Important: be sure to check the freshness of this perishable item. The roots of the grass should be light, not shriveled or dry, and the strip of turf raised at one end should not decay.
3. Which size is better?
The answer to this question depends on how much time, effort and money you are willing to spend on creating and maintaining a green lawn, as well as on whether you plan to work on its perfection yourself or use the services of invited assistants.
Tip: A good way to test your strength is to lay a small experimental clearing. If after a year or two the work does not tire you, but the result is satisfactory, feel free to expand the area of the green carpet.
4. Which shape to choose?
The lawn can repeat any geometric shape: square, rectangle, circle, but keep in mind that the shape of the lawn and the style of the site are inextricably linked:
If all the elements of the garden design are strict, symmetrical, then the lawn should also have the correct classical shape.
Is the garden dominated by an informal style? Then it would be logical to make the outlines of the green lawn free. In this case, smooth, curved lines that repeat the outlines of flower beds, ponds and alpine slides are perfect.
For grass paths, choose a mixture of trample resistant varieties.
5. In what style to sustain?
The type of lawn coverage is usually chosen based on the style of the site design.
- For regular gardens, as well as those decorated in the Art Nouveau style, a parterre (aka English) lawn is suitable: perfectly flat, soft and velvety. Like any person of noble birth, the “Englishman” is capricious and requires special attention. The herbs that make up the basis of the elite green cover are narrow-leaved grasses: bent grass and fescue.
- Meadow lawn is less picky. If you want to admire the natural herbs, it is enough to cut it only twice a season. This cute lawn is part of the landscape style. The herbal mixture contains seeds of cereals, legumes and many meadow plants. Choose grass grasses for your lawn that are suitable for your climate. In the middle lane, bluegrass, bent grass, fescue grow well.
- Well, if you “settle” on the site a Moorish lawn that looks like a bright carpet, the garden will turn into a cheerful multi-colored meadow. This is an ideal option for a country-style plot, besides, you won’t have to mow such a lawn at all, and its basis will be flowering annuals.
- The main advantage of an ordinary or garden lawn is its versatility: it can be used in gardens of any of the existing styles as the main element or background. In addition to the aesthetic (pleasing to the eye), it also performs a utilitarian function (you can walk on it). This “staunch green soldier” will withstand even a long absence of the owners, without leaving. The basis of the herbal mixture is broadleaf cereals.
- The clover-planted lawn is called “lazy” – it requires almost no maintenance.
Science to help
A modern solution to the problem of landscaping the site was invented by biotechnologists. They created a biomat with the intriguing name “dry lawn”.
Like this? It’s very simple! Seeds of perennial lawn grasses are sewn into a biodegradable cloth made of flax and hemp fibers using a special technology, and along with them – everything necessary for their development:
- mineral and organic fertilizers,
- plant growth stimulants,
- soil-forming bacteria
- and moisture-retaining components.
You spread the finished canvas, lightly sprinkle it with earth, and after a while the lawn will playfully turn green. published by econet.ru
Subscribe to our Yandex Zen channel!
If you have any questions on this topic, ask the specialists and readers of our project here.
PS And remember, just by changing your consumption – together we are changing the world! © econet