Not many people know that useful substances from the food they eat are not only used by brain cells to generate energy, but are also transported directly to the brain. Of these, the brain requires fats the most, since it consists of two thirds of them. But the fact is that cells need healthy fats, and harmful foods disrupt the functioning of the brain.
Fats are brain food
Major groups of fats
1. Monounsaturated (unsaturated fatty acids) – are healthy fats found in olive, canola, sunflower, nuts and avocado oils… Due to the high amount of antioxidants, they cause less oxidative damage to cells than other types of fats. Fatty acids, entering the brain, protect its cells from free radicals and make them resistant to destruction.
Subscribe to our INSTAGRAM account!
2. Saturated fats (fatty acids) – less healthy, found in animal products (pork, beef, eggs, whole milk). An excess of these fats causes energy loss, inhibits brain activity, and causes oxidative destruction of the cell membranes. Excessive consumption of foods containing saturated acids leads to the risk of early aging and the development of Alzheimer’s disease.
3. Polyunsaturated fats (lipids) – the main ones, omega 3 and omega 6 acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are the most beneficial, found in oily fish, dark green vegetables, cucumber grass, some grains and seeds.
4. Trans fats are synthetic types of fats that are found in abundance in manufactured foods and are also found in fried foods. Because of them, brain cells slow down and become rigid.
Of all the fats, trans fats are the most dangerous for the brain.
The Danger of Trans Fatty Acids
Like all types of fats, trans fatty acids are embedded in cell membranes, but unlike useful ones, they give the membranes firmness and they become less flexible. This hinders the ability to generate energy, receive nutrients, and work productively. An excess of trans fats makes the body age faster, increases the risk of diabetes, CVD, depression and senile dementia. Even if healthy fats are consumed along with trans fats, trans acids are the first to enter the brain.
Subscribe to our youtube channel!
The best publications in the Telegram channel Econet.ru
PS And remember, just by changing your consumption – together we are changing the world! © econet
* Articles from Econet.ru are intended for informational and educational purposes only and do not replace professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult your doctor for any questions you may have about your health condition.