Wood is one of the best building and finishing materials, as it has a beautiful structure, rich and rich color.
Etching, toning of wood allows you to achieve a deep uniform shade, emphasize the living texture of the tree. We will tell you what dyes and stains you need to use in order to achieve a particular shade of wood. All recipes are old, time-tested.
There are two options for deep toning of wood:
- Hand dyeing with a linen swab that will not leave fibers on the surface. The swab is moistened with mordant, the dye is applied to the wood;
- Soaking in mordant. According to experts, this is a more reliable way to obtain a color that will not be afraid of water and light. The wood is soaked in an enamel bowl of the required size, you will have to wait differently, depending on the type of wood, the concentration of the solution. Then the wood is washed and slowly dried without access to natural light
Wood is colored due to the fact that the mordants react with tannins. Wood species such as oak, beech and chestnut are best painted – they have a lot of tannin. Birch and linden are slightly worse for etching, and the worst is coniferous wood.
The process itself, as we can see, is not too complicated. The main thing is to choose the right dye to get the desired shade. Let’s list the old recipes:
- The black. To make your piece of wood after etching become coal black or dark gray, you need to use iron, or rather, iron filings and acetic acid. By the way, the same color is given to the wood by firing using the Japanese technology Shou-Sugi-Ban.
- Orange, golden. This tone can be obtained by soaking ordinary poplar branches in water. Five to six days in such a solution in a bright room and the tree will have a noble golden color;
- Silver. All you need is rainwater and iron filings;
- Gray. To obtain wood of this shade allows soaking along with the bark of the willow;
- Wenge is a valuable tree. But to achieve a similar shade, ordinary potassium permanganate will help you. And at first glance, for example, beech will be indistinguishable from exotic wenge;
Brown. Regular onion peel will help you get all shades of brown. With its help, you can get a reddish tint. In addition, walnut shells, coffee infusion with soda and apple bark can be used to stain wood brown;
- The blue color comes from oak shavings and iron shavings. To obtain a blue color, the wood is soaked together with copper shavings;
- An interesting effect helps to obtain such a natural dye as wolfberry. With its help, adding other pigments, you can get blue, and red, and black, and brown shades;
- A yellow-green color will help to obtain an infusion of rhubarb root, hemp leaves will color the tree in a dark green hue.
As you can see, all the ingredients we have listed are natural, except for potassium permanganate and metal shavings. Wood pickling experts often mix such natural stains with chemical ingredients: copper, iron, zinc sulfate, 2% Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate), potassium chromium peak.
It is important to remember that the pickling result will depend on the type of wood! So, under the influence of Epsom salt, oak will turn brown, and birch will turn purple. published by econet.ru
Subscribe to our Yandex Zen channel!
If you have any questions on this topic, ask the specialists and readers of our project here.
PS And remember, just by changing your consumption – together we are changing the world! © econet